Thread: YOUNGER Keris
View Single Post
Old 26th August 2008, 01:58 AM   #10
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
I remember a nice trip by car with my family to go to Kusamba along fields and fields and fields completely full of coloured flowers (for Bali's ceremonies)...nice!!
Yes, Marco, it is the same besalen you've seen. Pande Ktut Mudra is the son of Pande Mangku Wija -- the offspring of one great Balinese empu in the past in Banjar Pande, Kusamba. The name of the "banjar" (specific neighborhood association in every kampung in Bali), which bears name "pande" (smith) indicates that in the past this banjar were the place of Balinese keris smith. And usually, the offspring of Balinese empu also wears name "Pande", as does the owner of Keris Museum in Bali, Pande Wayan Sutedja Neka (I think he's been photographed by someone in Nusa's post 'KERIS EXHIBITION').

And I think you've been here too, Marco (please see the pic below). Another besalen, but in Gatak village, in Sumberagung, Moyudan, Sleman Jogjakarta. The besalen of the late Empu Djenoharumbrodjo -- the last offspring (15th descent) of Majapahit empu, Supo Anom. He died in 2006, he had not been married until his last day in this world. Now Pak Sungkowo (picture) below, his nephew, is continuing the work for the late Empu Djeno...

Both -- Pande Mangku Wija in Bali and also the late Empu Djeno Harumbrodjo -- had been revived to make kerises (after the family tradition had ceased for years) by Dietrich Drescher...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote