View Single Post
Old 1st February 2020, 12:31 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

In respect of the method of manufacture of this tombak, all we're looking at is a simple mlumah billet, that is, random pattern a la wos wutah, ngulit semangko, etc., that has been forged to 90 degrees from its original orientation, so the effect when it is forged to shape is that the edges of the contrasting material appear on the surface, rather than the faces of the material. In Javanese tosan aji this is pretty common. We call it "pamor adeg", ie, "standing pamor".

Rick, the earliest form of keris, the Keris Buda also used a metuk, which eventually became the mendak, I suspect this change occurred because the force of a blow lessened as the Modern Keris developed, the Modern Keris was used in a rapier-like fashion, the Keris Buda was used with a downwards hammer blow. The mendak can act as a sort of shock absorber, by crumpling or collapsing if the point were to strike something unyielding. The Keris Buda was supported by the edge of the palm, as opposed to the Modern Keris being held in a pinch grip. All this finessing around with strike force is obviously unnecessary with a spear or lance.

Admitted, it is often very difficult to get a clear impression of details from a photograph, but from what I believe I can see in the photo, I do think this metuk is mechanically fitted, not integral.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote