Thread: Odd Sword
View Single Post
Old 5th June 2015, 05:08 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Gav! Nicely spotted and observed info regarding the familiar 'Star of David' device, which of course existed in form far earlier as the Star of Solomon, and was indeed often used in many aspects of Islamic art and material culture and in others as well . It truly is amazing how much material can be found these days on the internet! and I am always grateful for those who take the time to find such things and add them to discussions here.

Ibrahiim, thank you for the always valuable input and kind comments. It is always interesting to have your insight regarding Omani items and culture as you are quite literally centered there and offer perspective most of us would not otherwise have access to.

As you note, this particular sword is indeed 'unusual' or 'odd' as one might chose, and presents certain challenges in 'deducing' the probable inspirations and sources for its collective elements and features. That is why these threads are so important as a venue for collective discussion and sharing of material, we can all continue learning together.

I must admit I have never personally seen this star device on one of these distinctive Omani pommels, or for that matter, any form of decoration or device on them. As earlier mentioned, these six point stars are quite notably seen on many Ethiopian blades, it would seem quite likely derived from the English blades proof slug surround associated with Wilkinson Sword Co. ad their imported blades. These blades often entered the Arabian markets as also mentioned.
It is also seems the doubled lines constructing the intersected triangles is something seen in other cases, and seems to suggest an almost more decorative theme than symbolic.

While the 'Star' is certainly a key element in observing this particular sword, the clearly European blade, which is of a form not commonly seen in Omani context, is certainly a case for further 'deduction' and discussion.

I think the situation with commercial activity with Omani swords in Mutrah and others is of course one of the mitigating factors in evaluating these weapons. Despite the diffusion of blades and influences through normal trade and colonial activity, these circumstances always remain present.

In that perspective, rather than focusing on the compromising of actual historical status, I always chose to recognize the cultural and traditional aspects which are carried forth in the weapons ethnographically .

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote