Thread: Odd Sword
View Single Post
Old 5th June 2015, 02:55 PM   #17
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsAntiqueWeapons
Whilst considering the outer shape of the star on the sword only, not the inter crossing lines forming the seal of Solomon, a quick Google search found this link below.
From Al Liwa, Sultanate of Oman.

http://star-of-david.blogspot.com.au...n-joradan.html

A quick flick through The Craft Heritage of Oman by Richardson and Dorr notes that the 6 sectioned floral motif is featured in Oman decoration and jewellery and other craft aspects....But again without the inter crossing lines that make the seal.

Scroll down 2/3rs of the page here for a glimpse of Oman silver work in the star pattern and the Jewish reference;

https://shereenshafi.wordpress.com/2...im-project-4b/

When considering the long established sea trade and similar cultural aspects it does not seem out of place on this sword at all.

Gavin

Salaams SwordsAntiqueWeapons ~ Your references are interesting and I would add that as well as the obscure window freeze at Liwa (must be one of the few remaining pieces of architecture with the 6 pointed star if infact that is what it illustrates..#see note below.) that Sohar was full of Jewish people but they were decimated by the Portuguese in the early 16th C...though remnants of an ancient Jewish temple are nearby. I know that Jewish traders and craftsmen were at Muscat and certainly in Muttrah in the mid 20th and back through the ages. Thus though I am aware of the history regarding these great traders I am not linking this sword to them (but I may be wrong).

I do, however, point you to the 6 pointed star and slug at the centre of the Wilkinson sword ...see http://mys.yoursearch.me/images?q=wi...+star+of+david In that case the 6 pointed star is at the Ricasso but here on the project sword it is on the Pommel?.. Are we looking at a Wilkinson that has been cut up....and having the pommel decorated on a different sword... and as part of the tang and pommel extension?... I suspect this is the case.

The circular Jewellery you show at the other reference is not silver nor is it Omani since the form is wrong and it is decorated in Lapiz Lazuli ..not an Omani decorative technique. I think likely to be Pakistani or Afghan.

Islamic geometry may occasionally throw up a 6 pointer and sometimes these may be traceable as links to Jewish craftsmanship...In the Yemen for example where Jewish silver and goldsmiths did work for both Islamic and Jewish clients. Of course being a simple geometrical star is not unusual in Islamic art and shapes like it will therefor appear in Richardson and Doprr...but not on Pommels....In fact it has never so far popped up on an Omani pommel and particularly with an hole in it neither in any Omani Museum or in the document you mention.

This sword is in my view not anywhere near normal...thus my description of it as "odd"... It most certainly is not a common style in Oman, however, I challenge anyone to show me a similar sword...with that sort of blade and the very peculiar pommel decoration the like of which I have never seen.

#Note.
Please note ...from http://star-of-david.blogspot.com.au...%80%99s%20seal

Quote"Star of David researchers generally indicate the Non-Jewish Star of David by the name Hexagram. Hexagram is a name invented only in recent centuries; I mean, it is not known for thousands of years how the non-Jewish Stars of David were named. "Hex" is the Greek word that represents the number six, "gram" means form. Even the Christian name for the Shield of David "the Star of David" was invented only in recent centuries. Muslims called the Star of David always the Seal of Solomon, but Seal of Solomon was used both in Judaism and in Islam also as the name of a pentagram. The Indian Star of David is commonly named Yantra".Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote