Thread: Odd Sword
View Single Post
Old 5th June 2015, 01:06 PM   #15
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Without going through resources in usual lengthy foray, I'd say Iain is pretty much spot on suggesting a European arming sword, probably Walloon or Pappenheimer and probably 17th century.
The shouldered forte and panel with these letters correspond to similar arrangements in Spanish/Italian blades and their Solingen counterparts.

The letters are probably acrostic, and often occur representing various slogans, invocations or mottos so are typically indecipherable. This practice seems to have originated in Italy and was soon copied widely, however there are far earlier blades with such mysterious inscribed letters.

It does seem unusual for one of these blades to end up in this particular Omani context, they are more often likely to turn up in kaskara in the rather limited cases that they do appear. It would be anyone's guess as to how this blade came into what appears to be a 'Mutrah' setting, but I think Ibrahiims suggestion of entry into the 'Red Sea' network probable. The Bedouin across Yemeni regions often stockpiled numbers of blades from these sources.

The curious application of the 'Star of Solomon' on the pommel does seem decorative and might well be inspired by any number of sources, with this device often appearing on Ethiopian blades from England which came into Yemen from there. The primary interest in the blades out of Ethiopia was the rhino hilts, and the blades were either hilted in San'aa in various forms or went to trade sources eastward.
Salaams Jim, Thank you and Iain and everyone who have applied "constructive input" so far and for your excellent deductions and observations.

It is always a danger that in the last 5 decades since Muttrah has been heavily involved in switching hilts n' blades that some local collections may have been infected. I fear that this may be the case in this sword though it is interesting with a puzzling pommel and blade inscription.

The Red Sea is indeed a complex case as blades that enter the area can funnel down and across it from many regions..and do so even today.

I seldom get the chance to inspect the collection from which this one came ...nor do I get much chance to speak to the owner ...but he says Yemen...(NOT WITHSTANDING the bladewhich looks European) and to me that seems about right and later perhaps Oman for a tang extension and pommel.

There are even more strange blades to come out from this and other sources and I shall endeavor to flash these to Forum as and when.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote