View Single Post
Old 1st September 2019, 11:18 PM   #8
Gustav

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Yes, that's what was bothering me - a blade with overall appearance of an older Java/Bali blade, with non-standard Singha and Greneng.

Meanwhile I found old pictures of the third blade with this type of Greneng. It may be just a coincidence, yet Ricikan of it are quite similar to the Ricikan of the Dresden blade and Dhapur is the same. There is a short Kembang Kacang together with Lambe Gajah which is placed high on Gandhik. Common detail is also the indentation below Jalen which suddenly cuts the flow towards Lambe Gajah.
Of course, the blade in Bali dress has lost substance compared to Dresden blade, which came early to Europa - perhaps they were similar in appearance at an earlier stage.

Speaking of Greneng, the well preserved protruding parts of it are ending in three prongs. Such complete protruding parts can be found on all three blades.

I have no clues about this anomaly, which nevertheless seems to have a consistent model character. In most cases when we see non-standard Greneng, the blades come from periphery and the forms are just degenerative forms of classic Javanese Greneng. The blades in question are comparatively well made and seemingly belong to Java/Bali sphere.

Who was producing something like that? Some strange, relatively short-lived social/political/religious entity?

Of course trade blade is a good possibility. Yet, if Dresden blade and Bali dressed one are somehow related - could we expect a Pamor Tangkis blade be a trade blade? Also Dresden blade seems to have at least partial Pamor Miring (Adeg).
Attached Images

Last edited by Gustav; 1st September 2019 at 11:28 PM.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote