View Single Post
Old 13th September 2023, 07:29 PM   #1
Mercer

Default Mediaeval Sword Chape

The photo's show a mediaeval or dagger sword chape which I found some years ago on the foreshore of the Thames near London Bridge.
I took it the V & A Museum London and a member of the Keeper of the Metalwork Department thought it was very probable 14th century with the inscription in gothic: 'ME ME" which could be a shortened version of 'Maria Maria', or 'me me' of memento mori. Remember me to God. An invocation.
The approx dimensions are: 50mm (2") x 30mm (1 3/16") x 6mm (1/4") slot width.
The Thames River by the City of London was for centuries of course the natural dumping ground for everything and it's foreshore has produced and is still producing I believe an amazing array finds.
The most amazing item I have ever seen found, was what I saw a few years ago in the Armouries of the Tower of London, where it is now I do not know, but it was a most magnificent kidney dagger, found on the foreshore, in mint condition about 15 inches long and from the pair of kidneys the blade of triangular section about 3/4 wide on each of the three flats fluted and tapering to a needle point.
A master piece of craftsmanship.
The most vicious and menacing blade I have ever seen making Japanese swords look like nursery toys!
Attached Images

Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote