Thread: My Haladie
View Single Post
Old 12th July 2010, 03:38 PM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Absolutely fascinating and wonderful text! It is always great to see good documented material describing the weapons and characteristics. This pretty much confirms that many of the swords (takouba) were locally made. While takouba often carried trade blades, it is clear that many of the blades that were of characteristic form typically with the central fullers and crescent moon markings were produced in these northern regions. It seems also that the predominant tribal group producing weapons were the Hausa.

The interesting link is to Briggs showing the kaskara blade covered in thuluth as a Hausa weapon. The question would be, would this indicate a Hausa weapon from Nigeria, or would it be Hausa from other domiciles to the east including Chad or the Nilotic Sudan. If the Hausas did use thuluth covered kaskara, could this have been as far westward as Nigeria?
We know the takouba was the predominant broadsword in Saharan regions with the Tuareg, as well as Fulani, and that Hausas were among the swordsmiths who produced them.....but what of the kaskara? there seem to be no accountable references or indications to suggest that kaskaras were among swords used in Nigeria.
That is, unless the drawing in Briggs of the 'Hausa' kaskara might carry a subtle clue....looking carefully amidst the thuluth script, one can see the distinct dual crescent moons characteristic on the Saharan takoubas.
Here can be seen the signal of Hausa provenance.

This leaves us with the same dilemma however, could this kaskara be of Hausa production from the Nigerian regions, or from Hausa smiths to the east who might have come there from Nigeria carrying traditional blade marking symbols in thier product? Since takouba blades are made by Hausas in many cases in Nigerian and Saharan regions, and as far as I know, none carry the acid etched thuluth decoration, I am inclined to believe that the kaskara would have been of the former.

So the next question is, why is thuluth seen on the Sword of Bayajidda? It would seem because, as Bivar has suggested, the blade was imported from the east, probably Nilotic Sudanese regions.

Returning to the original weapon discussed on this thread, the haladie, my perception of the evidence at hand is that while thuluth inscriptions are seen on at least one of the Nigerian regalia swords, it was not applied by Nigerian smiths. Since neither the kaskara (as seen attributed to the Hausa in some cases with thuluth, but probably from eastern tribal units) nor the haladie, are weapons found in Nigerian weaponry, but are profusely found among that of the Nilotic Sudan, then the Sudanese attribution is most plausibly correct.

Could either of these type weapons have been brought into Nigeria via the constant trade routes that are well known? Absolutely, but on a singular basis, much as the examples that include the blade on the Sword of Bayajidda. But incidental examples of a particular weapon form found in an incongruent region do not expand the attribution of that weapon form into that region.

As always, my opinions and perceptions, and always looking forward to hearing other views and thoughts. In the meantime, I would like to thank Tim for adding these outstanding references to carry forward the discussion.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote