View Single Post
Old 11th February 2006, 12:55 AM   #30
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Jeff,
Thank you very much for your courtesy, and I completely agree, further examination hands on and research would provide more conclusive assessment.
I'm not too sure about 'bitters' and am pretty sure here in Texas not many know about them 'bitters'...but around here 'long necks' , especially Lone Star is what its all about!!! yee hah!!

Hi Michal,
I knew you meant 'Chinese' as a description of the type hilts we had been describing since that suggestion was used in the early posts on this thread.
I think the guard itself was what brought this about as it has profound similarity to the guards well known on many Chinese jian, however the crossguard on our example is clearly very highly stylized.

The extensive trade with the Far East by the 18th century, especially that carried out by the East India Companies of the major powers, brought the commodities as well as considerable material culture to Europe and England.
I think one interesting use of 'Oriental' influence appearing on European swords were the smallswords which have become termed "Tonquinese" as this area, now of course Viet Nam, was thought their original source. In "The Smallsword in England" ( J.D.Aylward, 1945, pp.57,58) the author describes the decoration on these hilts as of black 'shakudo' bronze and that while these thought to have come from the Dutch factory in Tonquin, they were in fact most likely produced in a Dutch factory at Peking c.1710-1750. It is further noted that the Dutch brought Chinese workmen in hilts to Europe who worked in Amsterdam, as well as associated with Solingen (pertaining to the use of the blades of course). It is known that certain Chinese influences expanded to other weapon motif, as certain chinoiserie hilts reflected scenes including distinct Chinese architecture.

I think these influences would have easily extended throughout Europe via the constant trade diffusion of blades via Solingen, and other key centers.
It seems I have seen examples of certain Chinese swords or heavily influenced examples of them even in Transylvanian armouries, but cannot recall exactly when these were discussed (Radu any help on this? ).

It seems the more I learn about the incredibly vast trade networks, the more I realize what a small world it really was, even then!

Thanks again for the beautiful examples you posted of these distinctly influenced hangers!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote