Thread: Raksasa
View Single Post
Old 4th February 2008, 07:58 AM   #25
VVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunggulametung
...However if I may, I personally suggest Hanuman as an alternative for some reasons like the tail-like stalk over the back to the right shoulder. To my limited experience, Hanuman/Hanoman/Anoman usually being described with similar tail position in Indonesia, the loose lion-like tail is more to India. I notice there are some fur-like strokes on the face, similar to a monkey face...
Tunggulametung,

Thanks for your clarification on my pictures. It's always hard when you don't have the hilt in your hands and I am afraid that the tail resemblence is because of camera angles. Below are 2 other pictures were you can see that it only looks like a tail when seen from the side and not from the back.

On the position, cross legged or not, I find it hard to tell? Usually the meander border pattern is at belt level?

On the Yaksha attribute I was inspired by Karsten Sejr Jensen who classify old hilts with dominating vegetative elements as Yakshas. And if not as Rakshasas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunggulametung
...To Michael, I hope that someday you can find a reference or better explanation about your keris hilt. I do hope that this one is not the one created with no meaning except for its decorative looking, or carved following to the material demand .
Thanks

I don't think so either in this case.
I reply to Alan's post below.

Michael
Attached Images

VVV is offline   Reply With Quote