View Single Post
Old 20th January 2019, 12:48 AM   #75
A. G. Maisey

OK, got it.

Minyak gondopuro (or gandapura), I know that, it is used in massage oil and for relieving aches and pains. Never heard the botanical name until until you told me.

I've never heard of it as a component of keris oil, Karaton keris oil or otherwise, and my teacher and mentor, Empu Suparman was the ranking empu of the Karaton Surakarta prior to 1995.

The oil mix I use is the same as he used, except I use medicinal paraffin or sewing machine oil, he used cooking oil from coconuts.

But if it does stop coconut oil from becoming rancid, it could certainly be used in any number of oils, I guess.

EDIT

I just finished a conversation with a lady who has a background in traditional Javanese and Chinese medicine --- her family owns a traditional medicine shop and factory in East Jawa and she managed both for a number of years.

She was of the opinion that minyak gondopuro probably would stop coconut oil from becoming rancid. She had never tested this idea, but her experience with minyak gondopuro indicated that it could be likely that it would act as a preservative.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 20th January 2019 at 02:07 AM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote