View Single Post
Old 24th March 2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Outstanding thread you have started here David!!! and like you, I really would like to learn more on the weapons of the American Indians. Now here is ethnographic study close to home! as I sit in the middle of Texas and hope to be heading toward the northern plains soon.

Vandoo, I thought you might come through with some examples, especially with your location in Oklahoma! Still have visions of you wearing that war bonnet Nice examples too. I would really like to learn more on the use of the tacks in varying motif , especially on the rifles. I think that there was most definitely symbolism, though later becoming decorative motif.

LOL! good one Lee on the rather weathered looking old chief there. I think the dermatalogical term would be '40 miles of bad road'! The war clubs seem the most commonly appearing items, and I must believe of course that many, if not most, are likely 'promotional'.

Archer, that is a most interesting example knife, and classic example of how American Indians utilized frontier implements to fashion them. This does seem of late 19thc. to early 20th c. just guessing by apparant age of elements. It would be interesting to know the region of probable provenance, which might lend more to possible tribal groups, but it would likely be difficult to guage since it is simply made for practical use and not following a certain style.
The trademark might reveal the origin of the shears of course, and it would probably take some research into development and makers of those implements.

It really is good to see the positive response on this topic, and I hope more will develop. One of the things I found intriguing, as always, is the symbolism found in marking weapons, which seems closely related to similar interpretation on utility items, the horse, tipis, and of course in times, the personal body and facial marking. I would like to learn more on this, and hope we can add detail on the subject as more items are posted.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote