View Single Post
Old 26th January 2011, 04:58 AM   #5
Nagawarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Hi Stephen,

If it's an Eric from France I just might. It is a small world indeed for these, thankfully getting ever smaller as there are more than enough mysteries still to solve about these swords!

These hilts are usually made in more or less the following manner:
  • A two piece pommel (top and bottom)
  • Single piece grip formed from one rolled sheet of brass
  • Guard formed from two pieces of brass folded over on the edges with small tongues to meet the round grip

Depending on the age of the piece there may or may not be re-enforcing rolls of metal inside the grip. Everything is soldered together (so yes, lead is there). Of course this applies to Hausa pieces, I've seen and had a few pass through my hands with solid cast hilts but the general opinion is usually for a more West African attribution on those.

If you care to have your sword displayed on my site I'd be more than happy to have it up there. Really an excellent example with some fairly unique features. It's getting harder and harder to find ones like yours - with nice fittings and the older native blades, congrats again.
Yep Eric from France. I see he is a forumite as well. It must be lead solder between the two pieces of the guard. Question answered. Thanks. I would be love to have my sword displayed on your site. I am Honored. Do I submit it on your site page? Maybe I should try to take some better pictures.

-Stephen*
Nagawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote