Thread: Spike Tomahawks
View Single Post
Old 19th July 2023, 12:54 AM   #7
M ELEY

With many of these types, it is sometimes difficult to positively say whether or not a spike ax is a true tomahawk versus a pick ax/trench ax/fire ax. Likewise, boarding axes, which resemble tomahawks, are frequently faked and mis-identified as well. That being said, I think your two axes are the real deal, but this is just my view.

The smaller ax with the long spike appears to me to be early 19th century, of the pattern later used for roofing hatchets. I base the time factor on this single bearded/eared head shape. It is blacksmith-made (not trip hammered) with forging flaws, steel bit and the 4 sided spike again of that form dating to late 18th/early 19th. The squared notch is possibly a beaver trap chain pull as used by the fur traders. Smaller hatchets like this would have been popular not just with natives, but fur traders, frontiersmen, scouts, soldiers, etc. There is a chance the notch was also channel-cut later in the axe's working life...

The second axe looks to be right, but again, I'll hold off for others more experienced in this area than me. It looks authentic, but there are so many fakes these days-

Last edited by M ELEY; 19th July 2023 at 03:45 AM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote