View Single Post
Old 21st November 2014, 04:56 PM   #6
Kmaddock

Hi All,
I appreciate the time you have all taken to reply to my enquiry.
As a new forum member who does not know a lot about such things I do not like always to be asking questions without giving much in the way of contributions.
Great to get a confirmation that my hunch was correct, I have some French armour form the 1830's and the difference in weight was what made me think this might be the genuine item, for the price of 2 take out pizzas I was prepared to gamble.

I have put up some pictures of the remnants of the studs and the mark on the neck for the sake of completion of the post, I do not think the mark will tell much as there is not a lot of definition.

I am not much into cleaning things beyond active rust, not laziness mind you, just I question too much restoration and patina removal. However, would it be wise to remove the varnish or just leave it as part of the history of the item, I have full access to any solvents and fume hoods as I work in chemistry so if you know of any good varnish removers please advise, di chloromethane would be my first choice but am open to suggestions.
Again thanks and regards
Ken
Attached Images

Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote