Thread: Fire tempering.
View Single Post
Old 15th October 2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Fire tempering.

Fire tempering wood and fire as a medium for decorative purposes.

I recently purchased an early 20th or even late 19th century New Hebrides club. This club sparked a deeper thought. The club has been fire hardened, or at the very least fire has been used to alter the nature and appearance of the wood. I show it here with a similar version with a rich patina. If one looks at the close up of the handle ends. You can see where the dark red brown wood shows through the charred surface, and has taken a polish patina through use. The distal end remains black but it too has taken a patina.

I think we are all aware of hardening a spear tip with fire and the use of heat to straighten arrows and spears. This if not a skill {which I think it is} then it is something that needs much practice. It is more than just burning the end of a stick. Now think of the controlled burning of a whole club. I suggest to achieve an overall controlled delicate charring either to harden or as to change the colour of the wood is a skill.

Fire just for decoration.
Look at the big Amazon Shavanti club. Here we see the wood has been charred and polished to form a contrast pattern. To achieve this the maker must have used a fire retardant material much in the same way as Japanese sword smiths. Obviously not for the same reason, but does show it is not just an object made crudely for the purpose of killing. There is more to it. i find it all very interesting.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote