View Single Post
Old 27th November 2016, 05:18 PM   #1
RobertGuy

Default Double Barrel Percussion Pocket Pistol

A recent impulse purchase at auction.
Catalogue description:
Mid 19th Century Double Barrel Percussion Pocket Pistol. 50 bore 3 1/4 inch sise by side octagonal barrels. Lower rib fitted with asteel swivel ramrod. Action frame sides and topwith floral engraving. Pecusion dolphin head hammers with matching engraving. Polished wooden bag shape grip with brasspommel and white metal escutcheon.

My Stats:
Weight: 1lb 4oz
Bore: .45 inch (11.6mm), 50 bore?
Length overall: 7 3/4 inch (19.8cm)
Barrels : 3 1/4 inch (8.3cm)

Floral engraving on hammers, top frame, lock sides and trigger guard. Small amount of engraving on muzzel ends. Two proof marks on underside of each barrel. No makers marks or signature. Silver escutcheon not marked or marks/engraving worn away.

Small repairs to sides of wooden grip by the lock platres. One of the hammers has been rep[laced and is slightly mismatched. It has a slightly simpler form of engraving and differently shaped hammer spur.This gives the pistol a rather cock-eared look
I assume this is an English pistol from about 1850 but there is no makers mark so I cannot tell for sure. Can anyone decypher the proof marks? They are not very clear. Any insights anyone can offer would be welcome.
Attached Images

RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote