View Single Post
Old 9th May 2019, 09:22 PM   #28
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

To add clarification to what I was observing on the Kabyles, and that I had yet to ever see an illustration of any of them mounted, I have found references to' cavalry among the numbers of Kabyle forces over time. It does not seem to comprise large numbers, but as noted, present just the same.

Returning to the 'flyssa' , as we have discussed, the form we are familiar with (as seen in these examples) does not seem to have evolved until at least around end of 18th c. It does seem reasonable that some form of yataghan was probably present in the Kabyle kingdoms from some time earlier, and those of course probably were influenced by Ottoman examples of the 'deep belly' form.

The evolution of the blade long with needle point possibly evolved from Ottoman influences via their ethnic forces, such as Caucasian and Tatar, where these 'needle points existed on some of their sabres.

The term 'flyssa' coupled with yataghan, as Kubur has noted with the example he posted, seems rightly placed.

Attached are two more Kabyle illustration, which as typically seen, seem to emphasize their well known guns, and are dismounted.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote