View Single Post
Old 25th February 2016, 10:54 AM   #28
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpkaway2
Hello fellow members,

I obtained this jambiya/khanjar in Vancouver more than 10 years ago. On my recent trip to Gulf States and Oman I hoped to learn more about it and confir that it was Omani. Also I hoped to obtain an older belt for it. Unfortunately my tablet computer ceased to work so I could not show photos of it to anyone. I did manage to find similar 7-ring knives in the Nizwa souq which the vendors identified as Al Saidi (Sa´idiyyah).

After reading this interesting thread it seems most likely that it is from the Asir region rather than Oman. Adding credence to this is the emblem on the back of the hilt. It is very similar to the Saudi coat of arms: crossed swords below a palm tree. The coat of arms was adopted in 1950, which would indicate the knife was not made before that date. I do not know, however, if the coat of arms was designed in 1950 or if it were a symbol in use before then and officially adopted only in 1950. Anyone know?

I would be interested in your thoughts about this jambiya/khanjar, including whether the hilt is bone or wood, and if the writing on the chape is decipherable.

Regards
Chris

Salaams cpkaway2 ~ You are right. This is an Habaabi khanjar or Jambia from the Asir. It came into the region by sea from Oman(where it is called the al Wusta Khanjar) It appeared in about 1850 we suggest, at the time of Said the Great and looks similar to the Royal Khanjar called in Oman the Saaidiyyah...or the Muscat Khanjar. Yours carries on the reverse the Saudia emblem of crossed swords and palm tree.

The area was Yemen til about 1920 when it was absorbed into Saudia Arabia. Often the detail on the reverse is of the flower men tribal style consisting a bunch of flowers..This weapon is known in Oman as the Habaabi ...from Abha which you will find on the map in this post....(Abha aspirated sounds like Habaabi meaning of Abha.)

This is a peculiar adjunct to the regions daggers as it has been incorporated into the weaponry having come directly (by sea) from Oman (the seaport probably Sur) to the region fed by the major sea port of Jazzan and was a link port on the way to and from Zanzibar. The item was made after 1950 in the Abha region.

See below ; Saudia Arabian Emblem.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 25th February 2016 at 03:27 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote