View Single Post
Old 21st May 2010, 06:33 AM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
A NICE DAGGER BUT DON'T OVERLOOK THE BELT WITH IT. IT APPEARS TO BE OF VERY GOOD WORKMANSHIP WITH LOTS OF FANCY AND BEAUTIFUL DECORATION.
THE OLD ONES MADE BY HAND ARE WORKS OF ART IN THEMSELVES. I DON'T KNOW IF MORE MODERN ONES ARE MADE BY MACHINE OR BY HAND THESE DAYS BUT THE BELT IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE SET (DAGGER AND BELT) AND NO DOUBT SHOWS STATUS AND DENOTES WEALTH AS WELL AS BEING USEFUL AND BEAUTIFUL IN SOME CASES. IN SOME OF THE OLD ONES SILVER AND GOLD WIRE WAS USED TO MAKE SOME OF THE DECORATION. DOES ANYONE HAVE FURTHER INFORMATION OR KNOW THE NAME OF THESE BELTS.?
Hi Barry,
I can find no actual name for the belts though I suspect that there is one. Forum Member "Steve" is the most like source of further info on these but I believe that he is travelling at present. Some earlier daggers are known to have had belts added in much more modern times so the age of the 2 may be considerably different.
The attached pic is of one of these, which I have on the way. When it arrives I will post better pics, but the belt is known to be a much later addition. Earlier belts in my experience were of leather rather than the later fabric embroidered (either machine or hand) ones.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote