Thread: Eunjangdo
View Single Post
Old 21st October 2012, 10:19 PM   #31
Timo Nieminen

The "large number" looks rather small to me. Also, the ones I see aren't identical. I don't think they're all very old (where "very" would be late 19th century, before the Japan takeover). These are still made; worn on special occasions rather than everyday wear for upper-class women, but still made to be worn. (Traditional dress is widely owned in Korea, though accessories like this are less common than the basic hanbok (set of traditional clothes).)

I'd expect to see very, very few from before the late 19th century, moderate numbers from the late 19th, few from the Japanese colonial period, and plenty from after independence (from Japanese rule, 1945). The newer ones won't be sold as antique except as fakes. The good new ones sell for more than most antique ones; I have seen some new ones advertised as antique at very high prices.

A comparison with puukkos is appropriate (both considering the above discussion about them, and them providing a functional comparison): a traditional design, still made, still sold new.

I'd guess my newest one to be 20th century, post 1945 (it was described as 19th century, possibly British - I don't believe either).

As far as being "weapons" goes, these are more dress accessories. But old Korean knives of all types are hard to find (I did find an old Korean kitchen knife - also mis-labelled.)
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote