View Single Post
Old 12th December 2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Nicely put Nando, and being a 'business' example is all the more the charm of the weapon as the fancier types are too often simply impressive novelties or 'conversation pieces'. This would likely be Peninsular rather than Italian as the plain cuphilts were more likely to be so than thier usually fancier cousins which were often pierced openwork and indeed Italian. Since these were usually en suite of course, despite the 'businesslike' simplicity, the dagger was to parallel, not outdo its partner.

The Spaniards of course were deeply engrained in thier swordsmanship traditions, and refused to give way to newly developing techniques and schools of fencing, maintaining thier mysterious 'destreza' through the 18th and even into the 19th century. In this, these weapons which were in a sense obsolete elsewhere in the Continent still were fashionable with the beloved cuphilts. This is of course an example of the 17th century style but it is possible of course to be early 18th. As I have mentioned before, the thin Solingen made rapier blades for Spain were still around into the 18th century in the colonies, and I once handled a number which were found on a shipwreck off Panama (I think there were around 40 in an apparant shipment for hilting).

Also, you Sir are far too humble.....you ceased being an 'amateur' many, many years ago!!!

Beautiful and charming dagger Nando!!! These to me are so much more attractive than the overembellished and festooned types!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote