View Single Post
Old 5th September 2021, 05:06 PM   #148
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara View Post
... The width of the barong allows the blade to cut through anything.
I like your anecdote.

An anecdote from a US Officer during the Moro Rebellion, early 1900's told the tale of a Jurementado (Moro suicide assassin high on ganja) who surprised a patrol and cut a soldier in half with his sword after being shot with the guy's krag. The officer emptied his issue .38 into the Moro who finally succumbed withing inches of being able to kill him. The sword was not a Kris or kampilan, but a barung. After many close calls in that war, the US shifted away from the 9mm(.355in.) range of available weapons to the bigger .45 cal. ones, winding up with the colt model 1911 .45acp, which is still in service with those in the know, the bean counters who haven't read the history books prefer the 9mm, but the special forces choice is frequently the .45acp 1911. During the Moro thingy, many soldiers wrote their families and asked to have a .45 long colt revolver sent to them. During the recent brouhaha in the Middle East many soldiers wrote home to have their families send them a .45acp 1911.

My Visayan barung (bottom, post 49 above) also lives on a wardrobe shelf near the bedroom door, justincase. When I lived in the states a 1911 was closer. Not allowed to have one here in the UK, so I make do with the next best thing, a sharp pointy.

Last edited by kronckew; 5th September 2021 at 05:18 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote