View Single Post
Old 29th October 2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
Pineapple? Or Pandanus? I can't tell, but they have similar fruits, at least when it comes to engraving at this level of complexity. In any event, the only thing a pineapple would tell was that it was 16th century or later, which I think most of us would guess based entirely on the blade.

Best,

F
cross etching
Salaams fearn~ Not quite the full story. In fact it is sometimes very difficult to pinpoint age on decoration alone. The carving, however, tells us that it's Malabari.. since design in associated woodcarving e.g. The Malabari Chest, carries the same style on the front and in addition what is not visible on the chest is the side panels which are cross etched # also like the daggers.

The age is agreed at about late 19th early 20th C.. but as you point out ... additionally from the general appearance, the blade wear and a certain feeling of its antiquity. The wood carving of that era in Malabar chests presents us with some linked evidence so I think the overall impression leads us to the age conclusion. The evidence is in the chests and the gut feeling is in the look of the item. One is factual whilst the other is apparent no?

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote