View Single Post
Old 25th August 2016, 04:46 AM   #15
Rafngard

Hello All,

I'll try to reply to the most salient points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Many of the 'experts' died rather than surrender to their occupiers during the 20thC.; I expect that much of the technique has been lost.
Then Pershing disarmed the remaining tribes; after that exhibitions etc.
I agree.
Also, this picture is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Does abeniko terradas not use both edges? (I'm totally ignorant of the wrist position, so maybe it uses the flat?)
I also am far from an expert, but as I've learned it, it uses the flat of the blade, or maybe the true edge. I'm most familiar with what Dan Inosanto teaches, other schools might do it differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
but when one is truly in a life or death situation anything goes.
Having done some competition, yes, even in situations that aren't life or death, a lot of training goes right out the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mross
Yes, I fully agree, in the case with most real weapons, function dictates form.
You know, I used to think this way, but I've done enough historic reenactment to know that people have historically done some really weird stuff for the sake of fashion, so I don't know. At the very least I don't assume.

All that said, I did rewatch the combat recreation from Crossing The Sulu Sea, and I noticed two things that Sali did:

1) He had a tendency to present the blade oriented such that it was roughly parallel with the ground. This gives the opportunity for the blade to be knocked on either the true edge or the false edge, and in fact, a strike to the false edge would be more likely to take the blade out of play long enough for an opponent to do something unpleasant.

2) at one point, he uses a draw cut across the torso with the false edge. This alone might be enough to justify a sharpened false edge.

Anyway, I'm satisfied for now, though I still really want to know more about how the Moros used the Kris historically. Hopefully this was of interest to someone other than me. Apologies if it was not.

Have fun,
Leif
Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote