View Single Post
Old 4th February 2010, 03:21 AM   #12
Dmitry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur
Nope, I watched that one go by and am glad it went to the extended family (as it were).
Yes, I am rapidly becoming that weird uncle no-one ever talks about.

I don't know what Philly you're talking about, Glen, but there is a Ketland eagle with a certain foul naval symbol that smells funny. Seller says it fell off a moving truck... Inmates are not allowed to discuss the ongoing auctions, so I'll stop there.

I am very happy to have bought this 1805 lieutenant's sword.
Several years back I missed a very nice one that was on the auction block here in Rhody. It was in a better shape than this one, but I was young and innocent. I might still have the photos of it somewhere. Now that i bought this one, I feel somewhat vindicated.
These swords are very seldom seen on this side of the Atlantic. Usually, only one or two appear on eBay a year, if that. Higher ranks models are more prolific, which is a little odd. Perhaps the mortality rate among the lieutenants was high, perhaps some were promoted to captaincy and discarded their old swords.

Mark, the photo of an axe that I posted for you shows the shape of a spike from an angle not often seen in books. This is the shape that I called a "wedge".
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote