View Single Post
Old 9th March 2013, 11:52 AM   #16
T. Koch

Hi Charles! Congratulations on that most awesome paka! It's great to see it in such a complete state! Yours is of the type with the parallel spine and edge. Personally I prefer the flaring blade type, but in this case I think the fullers and incisions compensate nicely. I attach below a picture of user Dajak's impressive paka collection, which displays a variety of blades.

The decorations on yours are typically Murut IMO. The squares on the scabbard as well as the four-leaf petals on the spine are very characteristic. In general the Murut decorations seem to be more "cubic" and less organic than the decorations of the Dayak and when motives indeed are of natural form, they display a vegetative type, presumably due to the Islamic influence on the Murut expression?

What I find really strange about this one, is that the textile placed under the point of belt attachment, seem to be of the exact same type as the one on mine, I posted some time ago. -Burgundy with little white flowers, right? Maybe our original owners shopped in the same place?

I am familiar with Dayak's opinion that the hilts started out as being complex and then became simpler due to "more easy to make". As far as we are talking evolution of pre-20th cent. SEA arms in general, I don't agree with him though, but align my thoughts more along those of fx. Kaudern. I'll refrain from OT'ing Charles' thread and save my thoughts on the subject for a separate thread.

Maurice, your paka is fabulous too - I've drooled over it many many times. I think it's probably my most favorite of all the pakayun hilts I've seen: The swooping leaves between the pegs as well as the well-carved little knobs are fantastic. Not to mention that the well-worn patina of the wood is so chocolate'y-delicious, you could eat it!

Thanks so much for sharing and cheers all, - Thor
Attached Images

T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote