View Single Post
Old 16th September 2008, 05:53 AM   #14
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
Hi Ausjulius,

In an old publication from the Bishop Museum, there was the story of the Hawaiians cold-forging nails from driftwood and using these for spikes, weaponry, and tools. This was before they were contacted, although I have no idea whose ships were being wrecked and washing up on Hawaii.

Don't know if this is true, but I do know that the Eskimos treated meteoric iron the same way, so it's possible.

What I'd say, then, is if anyone can produce a cold forged bit of iron, it actually might be part of an indigenous tradition.

F

inuit and indians on the west of canada and alaska had a well developed inderstanding of working with metals before contact.. ive a good collection of images,,, sime items or a good deal of antiquity..
the inuit has quite large copper weapons , long daggers and knives some over a foot in blade lenght..
but they had access to these metals,,...

the people of the pacific did not... so it means little that they could use a nail to make a hook,, in papua new guine gold for exsample was known,,,,,,, but nothing was made of it.. but they had access to it,
the pacific islanders knew of metals for shure , they have in their languages words for these items,, and understood iron and copper at first contact... but they had no way of obtaining it on demand..
unlike the inuit who woudl as it exsisted in his area of habitation,,
and the new guinean,,
the inuit put copper and iron to use but the new guinean did not put gold to use.. ( in most languages in PNG and the solomons there is some work for gold.. ans it occours in these areas in nugget form)

so the thing is
1,, to have a desire for and knowledge of the material,
2 , to be able to procure it on demand,
in the pacific the 1st is true , aspecialy in the polonesian areas , and secound is not......

so i wounder what was the weapons of iron th produced in larger islands , fiji,, for exsample. .. did they make iron weapons of their own.. and new zealand,i wounder, as the maori had alot of contact.. did they develop and iron knives or tools unique to them.. or did they just take the european weapons and produce the in the same syle. i know that most pa's would maintain at least one more skilled europeans even before the new zealand colonial period, and these individuials were a prized possession by a tribe and almost required to maintain any prestiege ,
much of these men were traders ,carpenters or blacksmiths.. ect ect... and shurly as with the slow supplie of trade goods and the limited range these folk manifactured to order items they thought the maori woudl desire or were requested to make.. and no doubt their skills were partialy passed on to the natives..

i wounder was there any specific maori iron works then???

ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote