View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2007, 05:59 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

As my axe has arrived I thought I might as well continue this thread. Firstly I would just like to mention that there is a very good book published by the "Metropolitan" to accompany thier on going exhibition untill March 2008 of Central African Reliquary sculpture. The book and show are titled "Eternal Ancestors, The Art of the Central African Reliquary" The book has nothing to do with weapons but has very good easy reading background information on the people from the south Cameroon, the Fang Gabon and the western sea board to the eastern Congo, far more info than in most weapon publications. I have found this very helpful particularly in the case of what may appear as weapons with atypical features. The study in this book is more enlightening than the Tibetan Arms exhibition publication. I got the book from amazon it was on a very good offer.
Back to the axe, it is not the most eye catching and the heads really rather simple. However I like the strong form, the blade is quite large just under 30cm from tip to tip, the haft is 35cm. I aways imagined these as prestige items but with the blade extending further than the distal end of the handle making the balance acceptable if a little heavy and the fact that the blade is sharp I now feel they could indeed be very real weapons. I have cleaned it a little, looks as if the blade should be white at least to the dots. I was the only bid. I think there may have been some confusion over size or I might just be bit of a prat

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 22nd November 2007 at 09:12 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote