View Single Post
Old 5th October 2020, 11:17 AM   #64
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I understand, the colloquial/pejorative or whatever use of the term briquet became regulation lingo in 1806 after its plethora of meanings began to refer to the general 'type' of these swords.....I hope I have qualified that enough, but I think I get the general drift.
Let me be precious and transfer the original text; you will interpreter it as per your wishes:

Quote:
... Your prize suggestion of a case of Drambuie is GOOD INCENTIVE!!
And i will even give you some hint. Here is an assessment made by a 'General' (top member) of the world largest French speaking forum of militaria:

Si il n'y a pas d'autres poinçons sur la lame ou la garde il est probable (pour ne pas dire certain !) que ce sabre n'est pas un modèle réglementaire français. Peut-être avait il été fabriqué pour la Garde Nationale ou peut-être est il étranger ...
Je ne connais pas le(s) poinçon(s) PS dans un cartouche rectangulaire.

Meaning as you know:

If there are no other poinçons on the blade or the guard, it is likely (not to say certain!) that this saber is not a French regulation model. Maybe it was made for the National Guard or maybe it's a foreigner ...
I do not know the PS punch (s) in a rectangular cartouche.

Quote:
... is a Scottish trait (uh, Norman you agree?)...
I prefer the Portuguese (?) saying: Stubborness only exists if there are two stubborn .

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote