View Single Post
Old 20th November 2017, 04:54 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Interesting item , and more so as we try to forensically examine what its story might be. It does seem to have aging suggesting the blade and hilt have been together for a very long time, and it would seem that the damage extant is from casting weakness in the quillon arm and corrosion causing vulnerability to environment. It seems like it may have been stored loosely in an out building, the paint perhaps from spillage in such context.

I have a tulwar which has a blade (usual curve etc.) but the securing material is gone so it comes right out of the hilt. It seems this one and others I have seen have this sort of canted angle in the seated position of the blade. While it is tempting to suggest such angle would be to augment the force of a blow, such as is known in some Caucasian sabres and in incidental cases...it may be simply from a blade not original to hilt and later joined during working life.

I have heard the notion of swords and hilts being stored separately in arsenals while not in use with concerns about subversive action or insurrection, however I have never heard of sources or corroboration of such practice. With the amount of diversity and internecine friction probably present in many forces, there must have been certain concerns, however by the same token, the ever present danger of attack must have been a keen issue. To have dismantled weaponry really makes no sense, and the notion of 'peace' in the volatility of intertribal warfare seems unlikely.

The idea I think may be borne of British observers seeing an array of hilts and blades situated loosely in armouries, owing more to the constant assembly of blades to hilts in progress and probably in notable volume.

This may be a European backsword blade having been joined to a tulwar hilt intended for a more suitable blade. Often it is about what is available rather than select or intended dynamics for a sword.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote