Thread: Hussar saber
View Single Post
Old 29th August 2022, 09:59 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Radboud for the additional detail and insights. I think it seems fairly well established this saber is not from the 18th century period suggested, and it is probably modern, but just where and when produced is the question. In reproduction swords it does not seem blades usually have this level of detail in decorative motif, but of course it can be copied. It is not as if these kinds of markings are unknown to those making copies. As with many modern assembled swords, sometimes authentic blades are used.

I am not familiar with Caissagnard, nor French swords in particular, but have seen motif such as this noting his use on many blades and notably the oriental and occult markings.
Most of these decorative motifs consist of heraldic (as the arm in clouds), astrological and occult, with the 'Turks head' notably used as well and military arms panopolies, were widely used throughout Europe. I believe it is generally held that the engraving of these kinds of motif on blades was done by artisans who worked with blade producers and cutlers, it would seem in most cases independently.
Cutlers of course assembled swords using components often from various vendors as well as scabbard makers etc.

While Solingen was a primary producer of blades, in Eastern Europe there were others however such as Styria (various centers) and many French blades were made there, however often using German makers. There were German makers working in various countries in blade production but there is no discounting that Solingen was by far the largest producer.

That is why this blade is so intriguing, it seems more complex than the types of blades in modern interpretations, and more akin to forms not well known in the Solingen forms usually seen.
The blades imported to England by J J Runkel it seems were mostly through his connections on Solingen with the Neef family, who likely used the same engraver or shop offering a level of consistency in quality. I wonder if the skill level of such artisans could affect the grade of markings in cases, but still observing the general themes and groupings from other shops or those in other countries.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote