Thread: Hussar saber
View Single Post
Old 29th August 2022, 02:50 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree with Victrix, this saber is an anomaly in its fusion of various element styles, as well as unusual scabbard in its suspension, which should be the usual rings. These were usual worn slung from the side, which was of course the purpose of the drag on the scabbard chape as these were often low slung when dismounted.

The scrolled quillon terminals on the guard are most unusual as actually there would only be one, while the knuckle guard extended into the cross guard and needed no such fixture at the base. This vestigial terminal is most odd.

The sword overall does not correspond to anything I can find in references on Austro-Hungarian swords, but I agree, there seems in inclination toward that influence.

The blade too is unusual in the channels and the fuller extending to the point, recalling in a sense the blades with heavier distal features often including yelman to add weight and impetus to slashing cuts.
However, the unusually crisp CA poincon is not like anything I have seen on blade markings of 18th c. nor are the shape of the letters.

The etched markings on the blade are nicely fashioned resembling the 'oriental occult' style motif often applied to French blades of 'caissagnard decoration' which seem to have been applied in Nantes locations from mid to latter 18th c. Some this style decoration seems used in other countries as well in similar manner, including of course Eastern Europe.

Which brings to mind that there were elements of cavalry in the French army from Austro-Hungarian origin, which seem to have evolved perhaps from the 'pandour' forces which created notable interest to the French.
Here I would note that the unusual fluted langet resembles certain small sword styling of French origin in the late 18th c. which was seen on the heavier officers versions of these.

As officers of course commissioned their own swords and had them privately made by cutlers and outfitters, it does not seem surprising that these kinds of unusually appointed swords would exist. With that in mind, and that officers often were in the service of other countries, the influences of any number of sources might be at hand.

Whatever the case, an extremely attractive saber!
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote