View Single Post
Old 6th March 2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Shakethetrees

Very interesting and well made weapons! I wouldn't mind having one or two examples myself.

However, I would like to hazard a guess as to why there are so few replies. These weapons are so scarcely encountered and there has been so little published on them that most of us out here are totally unfamiliar!

Tibet and Bhutan are so remote and removed from the discussion of history and politics that in many circles all you get is a blank look when they are mentioned.

Only in recent times has tourism by more than a handful of westerners been readily possible.

And only briefly in the last 100 years and in WWII has there ever been even minor Western military presence.

I do not believe, (and I could be wrong here!), that either place has had any significant presence of Western missionaries.

Back in the heyday of collection building in the 19th century, missionaries, military, and business tourism/exploration were the primary customary manner by which ethnographic material arrived on Western shores.

Except for the few pieces making their way West via a small trickle-out along diplomatic or traditional trade, you just don't see them.
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote