View Single Post
Old 13th June 2010, 12:25 PM   #10
spiral

Nice Kukri Gav, It appears pre. or very early WW2 probably private purchase but military style kukri to my eyes. I would say it could easily have been collected of a Gurkha during WW2, The loop round the scabbard looks designed to be hold in a military frog rather than a natives belt?

As for the Argument put forth by Simon although interesting, Id rather take the word of the offcial "Brigade of Gurkhas" website myself for several reasons.

Not least that they know rather more Gurkhas & Gurkha officers than the esteemed few Simon has spoken with, who according to Simon were apparently unaware of such practice?

And of course to describe it as a "myth" is rather strange , the idea that no Gurkha would ever buy or use a kukri he liked in the arms emporiums that riddled so many British Indian Garrison towns & Hill Stations were Gurkhas would take local leave.{Or from Nepal if he was lucky eniough to have home leave.

And of course the major point must be that for Simon to try & proove such a thing is to try proove a negative which is logicaly impossble & is generally known as "argumentum ad ignorantiam" ("appeal to ignorance"} in which is a logical fallacy in which it is claimed that a premise is true only because it has not been proven false, or is false only because it has not been proven true.

Spiral

Last edited by spiral; 13th June 2010 at 03:45 PM.
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote