View Single Post
Old 16th April 2023, 01:41 AM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
I agree that the other blade might well have a Lumad origin, especially Mandaya and possibly related groups; even despite figural hilts not being documented from this area ...
This does not look Mandayan to me. The hilt would be highly unusual, as would the inscribed blade. Also, the blade lacks the little "nubbin" along the cutting edge where it angles down sharply. Incidentally, I think the right hand sword in Carlos' picture of five is Mandayan, showing the typical hilt form and blade with (what I think) is that small "nubbin" on the edge.

Quote:
... also neighbouring Visayan islands may be a possibility. Do I assume correctly though that the edge doesn't exhibit a chisel grind? ...
There's a lot of Visayan odd deity hilts but I've not seen one like this, especially with curly hair. It's sort of reminiscent of a Sinhalese lion with that curly mane.

Quote:
While of somewhat similar shape, I'd posit that the Luzon bolos are not as closely related. However, they may hint at an earlier ancestral blade shared more widely across the islands. ...
The resemblance seems vague to me and I don't know of any hilt forms like that in northern Luzon.

I'm in the not-Filipino camp for this one.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote