Thread: Sumatran keris
View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2023, 12:17 AM   #20
A. G. Maisey

Thank you Kai, I thought it looked familiar, and if that was my description when I listed it, it is still my description now.

I cannot remember everything, and once a keris leaves my hands the info I have on it gets put away.

EDIT

I've been reflecting on this keris, and I think it provides a very valuable lesson for all of us.

We all understand that it is often difficult to appraise a keris from a (usually) poor image on a screen. OK, that's a given.

But here we have a keris that I had for many years, that I sold several years ago, and that when I saw it on the screen, it confused me, I had forgotten it & did not recognise it as one I had once had in my possession.

To a degree this reflects my aging memory, but I think that just as much, it reflects how difficult it can be to appraise a keris from a photograph.

We all need to remember that a photo is only a very small part of the story, we should never be too certain about anything when the only information available is an image, especially when that image is on a screen.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 22nd January 2023 at 08:58 PM. Reason: further comment
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote