View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2019, 12:55 PM   #25
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster
Ibrahiim,

Tippu Tip was active from c. 1884 onward. Did the material culture exchange occur during that period? Seems pretty late.

Also, the Manding & Omani spheres were thousands of miles apart and in opposite directions with few opportunities for long-term associations or reasons to engage in trade.

Shall we agree to just disagree?

Best,
Ed
Tippu Tip was active relatively late and in the reign of several Sultans of Zanzibar but what is also important is that his father and grandfather were seasoned hands in the same business and very active before him... and from whom he learned the business. it fact tippu tip was active earlier as below...

In 1855, Livingstone discovered a spectacular waterfall which he named Victoria Falls. Livingstone spent his final years in Africa from 1866 to 1873 searching for the source of the Nile, a journey that led him into the slave and ivory trading stronghold of Tippu Tip.
Livingstone was ill and destitute; Tippu Tip helped Livingstone with supplies and directions. Livingstone wrote this passage in his journal: 29th July, 1867.-Went 2½ hours west to village of Ponda, where a head Arab, called by the natives Tipo Tipo, lives; his name is Hamid bin Mahamed bin Juma Borajib.

Yes Ed I can always agree with you on this except I know there are many factors and details to consider in concluding this conundrum...but with excellent input like yours Im certain a clearer picture can be built up.

What we were left with when Zanzibar essentially imploded was a clouded impossible to fathom 100 year dark ages where not only facts were twisted but forgotten details sank into a void. Oman only resurfaced in 1970 and so much history was erased, forgotten and lost. I remind readers that the empire built to the south was not a physical owned territory but a vibrant trading interlinked region.. based on a city state HUB (Zanzibar) which collapsed shortly after Saaid the Great died . The picture is by no means clear and much has yet to be revealed. And it is early days yet to form a conclusion >>You aint seen Nuthin' yet would be my advice.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 2nd April 2019 at 01:41 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote