View Single Post
Old 31st March 2019, 04:52 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Interesting thread Jim. There is no doubt that the hilt style of Manding swords closely resembles those of Oman. Trade in the "early days" no doubt would have had some bearing on similarity of styles.
I have attached a pic of a Manding sword which I have. While the blade is quite short, and straight, the hilt is guardless and resembles very closely those of Oman.
Stu
Thank you Stu!
This curious similarity has perplexed me for many years, and I could never really get a good 'read' on the idea of sort of 'connecting the dots'. Now with this being a very well seasoned venue of weapons investigation thanks to all the years we have all worked together on these mysteries....we are much better at getting to the bottom of them.

This straight version of these West African swords which has of course similarities to the Manding, but has the kaskara like blade (central three fullers). These I have thought associated with straight blade swords of Sierra Leone (often termed 'slavers swords' from the 'slave coast'). The leather work of Manding character seems to often broaden the geographic scope of these similar but slightly varied types.
I added a picture of one of these with the three fuller blade from 2008...…...in the thread I got a good chuckle from our late friend Vandoo…..when he quipped it looked like the sword of Karis from "The Mummy" because of the mummified wrap.

Charles thank you again for these most helpful maps and photos, which really get us in line with much of the Omani sector which Ibrahiim has noted as well. This is all as I mentioned, key in connecting the dots literally across Africa in looking into the relationships of these varying swords.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote