Thread: Two new Gunongs
View Single Post
Old 24th July 2016, 05:43 PM   #10
Rafngard

Thank you all for you kind comments.

There were a few I wanted to respond to

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
BTW, I believe the hilt will look even better if you keep nourishing the wood over several weeks.
Hello Kai,

I'm not quite sure what this process would involve. I don't suppose there's a thread somewhere that explains this process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I also especially like the large one. It seems that also the aluminium was (silver?)-plated; I'm not sure what is needed to plate aluminium
It actually looks a bit more like, maybe corrosion? in person. But I'm far from an expert, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Your second one I might place between the 1920s-30s. The metal fittings look to be silver over copper (I see copper remnants).

It looks like you are becoming a gunong collector - fascinating aren't they?

Hello Battara

Yes, silver over copper makes sense. I hadn't noticed the copper tones before. It's amazing what photos can bring out.

And yeah, the gunong bug has definitely bit. I love these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
You assembled a nice collection of gunongs there, I would be happy when I could add each piece to my own collection!
Hello Detlef,

I think this high praise indeed! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
When I am you I would polish the aluminium fittings at the scabbard, you can get them very shiny, look to my thread [...] post #8, I've used fine steel wool with metal polish.
You know, it never occurred to me to try to polish the aluminium. I'll have to give this a try when I find some time.

Thanks,
Leif
Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote