View Single Post
Old 27th January 2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERGIU
here's a decoration sword named "eclectic" by museum colleagues in Vrsac. Our paperwork mention "sabie decorativa cu lama in flacara, atelier european sec XIX" ("decoration sword ,flame-bladed, 19 th century Europe" )even if there are oriental designs on the blade, even a portrait of an ottoman baschuhadar with tourban... Metalwork seems really european to us. What do you think?
P.S. one more thing, I had the pleasure to find on this site a number of photos made by member Radu Transylvanicus in our museum in Timisoara, in the old exhibitions... his thread was named "back in black "or something-and dated from some ten years ago... well this sword was there in one of his pics.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=313

Salaams SERGIU ~ Your final reference is a classic and I enjoyed going back over the great pictures. I suspect there is both eastern and western influence in the wavy bladed item. Wavy or "flambouyant" blades in Oman with one fuller are called "saif abu falq" whilst with three fullers get the name "abu thalath musayil". I have not seen such decoration or a flambouyant blade such as the one in question so it remains a mystery. Perhaps a parade item?

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote