View Single Post
Old 12th January 2022, 01:15 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default The Avila Sword

This is an example of the 'espada ancha' type hilt but mounted with one of the double edged dragoon blades typically found on the bilbo as well as the later cavalry hilt (three bar guard) sabers of c.1805+

This example dramatically parallels one like it with ornamented leaf shape shell guard which is in the Los Angeles County Museum and attributed to Captain Jose Maria Avila of the Pueblo of Los Angeles.

On Dec. 5, 1831 in a rebellion against Governor Manuel Victoria, Avila was leading rebel forces and met government forces at Lomitas de la Canada de Breita (near Cahuenga Pass).
Leading the government forces was Capt. Jose Antonio Romualdo Pacheco.
As components of both forces were related; brothers, cousins etc. none wanted to give battle.
In frustration, both Avila and Pacheco rode at each other with lances.
After three passes, Pacheco knocked Avilas lance to the ground.

Astonishingly, Avila shot Pacheco, killing him, and stunned at what he had done, sat dumbfounded in his saddle.
What happened next is confusing, some say Gov. Victoria shot Avila, others say another, but he was shot dead there on the field.

They say both men fought with swords and lances, but that remains unclear.

This example I have as noted is quite similar to what is known as the Avila sword, which is said to have been his and became property of Del Valle family, who donoted it and other to LA County Museum.

This information from "Swords of California and Mexico" Arthur Woodward,
'ANTIQUES MAGAZINE, Vol. L, 1946, pp.102-104

It is noted that while Avila had his sword in 1831 as per the museum catalog, it is believed much older late 18th c.
While the machete type (espada ancha) hilts were usually with short heavy blades, it is clear that rancheros had the longer dragoon blades fitted as these swords became mounted on saddles under mochilo.
Thus my example here would appear to fall into that category.

Illustrations of Cahuenga Pass area 1847; Pueblo of Los Angeles c. 1869; my example of espada of Californio form (by comparison to the Avila example) with bone grip late 18thc
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote