View Single Post
Old 25th May 2005, 10:48 PM   #1
B.I

Default an insight into museums and collections

This is a hard post to write, as its a little conflicting in content, and more a state of the way things are, as apposed to a search for an answer.
For those patient enough to read it to the end, your stamina is commendable :-)
In England, we have possibly the finest collection of oriental arms. No one museum here can outdo those collections abroad (most especially the Met and Russia) but as a whole, given the short distance between institutions, we can almost imagine the separate collections to be one and its pretty impressive.
We’ve all discussed the problems in the past with displaying arms, with many important collections now almost permanently resigned to a basement or storage facility.
I am a realist, and can understand the reasons for this happening. These major institutions have to pander to the general taste of those coming through the door, and we are by far outnumbered by those after seeing a less martial exhibition. How can an old sword stand up to the interest generated by a tyranasouras head! As most of the visitors are school parties (at least over here, anyway) it’s sometimes the only way to stay open. The royal armouries is a good example of this, as its (relatively) recent move to a new premises had many plans for the collection, but these were not as important as keeping the place open, which would have been a problem had they not attracted the educational curriculum and lost the admission fee. There were just not enough ardent collectors travelling there, now that it had lost the ‘general’ tourist trade due to its new location.
But, this isn’t my problem. As I said, I am a realist and very passionate about my collection and study. This means, all doors will open for me and those with similar taste and passion. Jim and I are of the same mind, and we have discussed this in the past. The museums are run by those with a strong interest, and if you can show your passion is the same (in action as well as writing) there is nothing you cannot see and touch, from the finest arms to all accession records and 100+ year old libraries.
This goes for all museums, as long as you can befriend the right people, which has never really been a problem.
The reserves in all the major institutions are well kept, and fully accessible. In a way, its almost better that they are not fully on display, as it would be harder to get something taken down off the wall, than to pull it out of a storage cabinet.
No, my problem lies elsewhere.
There are collections here that not many people know about and more are being uncovered all the time. Almost every museum has its fair share of donated collections and as we were such a martial race, with a heavy contact with India, many pieces were brought back and collected by those who wouldn’t necessarily have had an interest in this field. So, there has always been more pieces available here, for sale and in museums than in other countries.
Whilst the major museums are fully aware themselves, of the importance of their collections, whether the general public are interested or not. So, the reserves are well kept with a strong conservation team overseeing the pieces in a very strict manor.
This, unfortunately doesn’t go for other museums. Its not that they don’t care, in fact the complete opposite. The problem is they don’t understand and their priorities are different.
I recently visited a museum and spent a full day in the reserves. This was more time than I had planned, but I felt the need to get more involved due to the things I saw. This museum (which I will not name as the curator was outstanding and will do their best to rectify wherever they can) is one of 3 in the area, all of which share teams and a small conservation department. There is not one weapon on show to the public, but there are over 1500 eastern arms in their inventory. There are all wrapped in tissue and boxed, and I was there to see some very specific things that I knew were there. However, the state of some of the swords was criminally bad. There was much surface rust, still live and in many cases recently acquired. The reserves had been recently moved, and the storage facilities were now very good. But, the rust had set in and they dont have time to go through them all. They were being honest, when they said the conservation team just would not have time to get involved, being over-run as they were.
I pulled out a fabulous tulwar, with a 17thC Persian blade with a very neat, inlaid assad allah cartouche, as well as a long, inlaid inscription along the back edge. The pattern on the blade was of the highest quality. However, there was at least 2mm of thick rust on patches of the blade, that had eaten past the surface and would never be removed. This was now heavily pitted and completely ruined. Whilst it couldn’t be saved, it needed to be stopped. I pulled a dozen pieces aside which their team would look at but I only saw a very small part of the collection, and who knows what the state of the rest was in. I cant stress how distressing this was, nor how frustrating both I and the curator was. But, there was nothing that could be done

This post has no point really, as there is nothing that can be done. There are no additional funds. Other museums will not take on the responsibility. They cant sell the pieces without each individual sale being approved by an act of parliament. I don’t have time to go there and help, and even if I wanted to, I’m not sure I would be able to due to the red tape involved.
So, this is just a statement of the way things are. I suppose this is no different to going around someone’s house and seeing their collection poorly preserved. Yes, you can advise them but the pieces are theirs to do with as they please.
I am not moaning at the museums, in fact far from it. They all do a commendable job and are very helpful. The curator of this particular museum had been given this department (?) and it was not in their field of study or interest. These pieces will never be shown, and so they are quite low on the priority list. The law has to stand as it does, to prevent the ‘emptying’ of museums which happily occurred some years back by unscrupulous dealers and back-handers.
So, we can just do our best to get involved and find these collection and hope things change.
michal, i know this will be much for you to take in, given your vocation.
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote