View Single Post
Old 17th August 2005, 10:50 AM   #32
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Muda
... Last month I visited the Asian Civilisations Museum across the bay from the Cavanagh bridge.
I was intrigued to see one of the kerises in the display. It has a nogo blade if I'm not mistaken but it was provenanced Bugis (again, if memory serves me right). I don't know if anyone else here, especially the orang Singapure have ever noticed this particular blade (inside the Malay world gallery).
Were the Bugis smiths also manufacturing blade types similar to those by the Javanese empus or was this one a trade blade? hmmm
Just happened to chance upon this thread (post) via url from the "Question About SEA Armor" thread. I vividly remember seeing this particular gorgeous solid sturdy tegap strait Bugis Naga keris at the ACM during my visit there in April and particularly like it's coherent form. The other rather catchy and outstanding piece was the Peninsular (?) keris blade with 10 different pamors (if I remember correctly). Almost gives one the impression that it might be it's smith's final attempt to register as much of his key pamor skills onto that blade like a "textbook" he wanted left behind.

Last edited by John; 18th August 2005 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Error correction
John is offline   Reply With Quote