View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2015, 07:49 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ahoy there Mark!
Thank you so much for the response, and always the kind words. This one indeed is directly in line with all the research and discussion we have shared for many years on the mystery of these 'Spanish motto' blades. I will never forget the first time I ever encountered it, in a purely serendipity instance in Southern California in the 70s. I saw a sabre in a boutique window along Coast Highway in Laguna. It was serving as a display holder for costume jewelry!!!
I nabbed it for a paltry amount, and though not knowing much on it in those days, had pretty much all the same notions on it's motto that have been so heavily perpetuated in so many cases. Regrettably I traded it away in later years, and later learning the history of these I have wistful memories of this wonderful Spanish colonial sabre.

As you note, these blades were prevalent through the 'Spanish Main' in the later years of piracy, which remained long after the 'golden age', in fact never has really ended. Sorry we lost Jesse on this one, time does get away

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote