View Single Post
Old 20th September 2010, 12:33 PM   #11
migueldiaz

Thanks for all for the comments and insights.

I went back to Museo Naval this morning, and I was able to interview the curator and the staff. Once again, they are most helpful and accommodating.

They said that all of their items that are Filipino (and the ones coming from the neighboring islands) were collected in the 19th century. They added though that it's very much possible that some of them were actually made in the 18th century.

With regard to the sawfish sword at Museo Naval, I remarked to the curator that it's probably not Filipino (though the hilt's shape certainly looks familiar). The curator said that perhaps it's really not Filipino, but the piece was collected at Sulu-Mindanao in the 18th century (thus they grouped it under the Phil. items).

I made the same remark about the Chinese halberds(?), that they are not Filipino. They remarked again that they do realize that, but the items were collected in Sulu-Mindanao, thus they grouped it under Philippines.

I was inquiring whether I can see the items in storage. They told me that they are more of the same, and many are not in good shape.

With regard to Filipino war clubs, I saw one at the storage room of Victor Balaguer museum. I'll post pics of those later.

Tomorrow I go to Toledo to see the Army Museum, which has the most collection of Filipino weapons. We will see
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote