View Single Post
Old 17th April 2008, 07:11 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

I am very interested in items like these from the hill tribes between the more affluent and unified? parts of India and Burma/Myanmar. I got this one from a prominent net trader. I was very interested to see the handle in one of the examples shown still has some cotton wading. I was worried that on mine the hair is glued in but on close inspection it is with some sort of gum tree/plant resin similar to other items I have. The handles are very small, I think too small for a ladies weapon, even a lady would need to have thier index finger over the guard/knuckleduster. However they would make a very good close range weapon. The basket scabbard is interesting, quite similar to mine. I do question whether these are real fighting weapon as they are difficult to extract from the basket work scabbard without catching, making the action rather a fumble. Can you tell me if the very nice wood scabbard makes a difference? The snagging of the weapon on the scabbard and the small handle, like so many fancy Indian knives, does make wonder if these are more a dress or status weapon?

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 17th April 2008 at 07:21 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote