Thread: Moro Decoration
View Single Post
Old 16th December 2023, 07:00 PM   #2
Interested Party

With a minimum amount of due diligence, I found this from p. 38 of Cato's Moro Swords. Interesting in that in this version the crescents go in, and the dots were punched from the other side and protrude out. Now we all know that Cato was not infallible in his opinions but let us assume that this example has age and represents a pattern with at least a little bit of history. All 3 have very similar ferules and sleeves. One has a junggayan pommel, and another seems to indicate that it at one time had type of pommel. BUT the original post items to me do not seem to indicate silver though the incomplete example's sleeve does have a rosy undertone which have made me wonder what alloy it is. I can't tell if the brass I smell is from the bands towards the pommel or from the whole ensemble. Are these dresses 1890, 1920, post WWII, or after 1970? What culture or ethnic group made this pattern of decoration. Both of the blades from the original post seem to have decent lamination. I will continue to look for more examples and information.

Thanks
IP
Attached Images

Last edited by Interested Party; 17th December 2023 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarification of language
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote