View Single Post
Old 17th February 2023, 03:19 PM   #11
Inusuit

Thanks again to everyone for the information.

I think chmorshuutz nailed my artifact.

To answer some questions.

I am fortunate to have volunteered at the Wyoming State Museum in Cheyenne since 2015 and have worked in collections since 2018, starting with firearms and moving on to edged weapons after completing the inventory update and research on guns. I have 70 years experience with firearms; swords are new to me but I'm learning thanks to the internet and forums like this one. I have over 60 short videos on firearms and some swords on the Museum's YouTube channel. Yes, it has been a wonderful opportunity to have access to items in storage (over 70,000 total artifacts) and to interact with museum professionals.

The Wyoming State Museum does have online access to the collections inventory. Go here:

https://wyomuseum.wyo.gov/index.php/collections

Here is additional information on the knife in question as per request:

The blade is 1/4 inch thick at the hilt and tapers evenly to the tip. It weighs 1 pound 2.5 ounces on a postal scale. The top edge of the blade just ahead of the hilt is marked with XII. The patina on the mark matches the rest of the blade but may have been later added by a previous owner?

The blade is 10 7/8 inches long 3.5 inches at the widest point. Grip is 7 1/4 inches.

I will post more pictures later. Again, thanks to everyone for educating me.
Inusuit is offline   Reply With Quote