View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2019, 10:26 PM   #15
Edster

Teodor,

I read Pradines' paper you referenced. I'm not sure that he proved his points.
1. While Sudanese troops (as "other ranks") typically Nuba, were in Greece, they likely were not in command positions. He provides no evidence that they were. Nuba were highly regarded and used as slave troops by the Ottomans, later impressed by the Mahdist and as free men by the British at Omdurman.
2. Is the end piece actually a sphero-conical container? Doesn't look bulbous enough and the end hole is too big.They may appear simiiar to s-c common from Romania to Central Asia. I think they were purpose made pieces, thick enough to be drilled to accept the seeds or beads. While some of these batons may have been collected after Omdurman, I saw no evidence as to who used them or for what purpose.
3. The Mahdi essentially outlawed participation in sufi activities during his reign. As far as I know, none of the British captives or others who wrote reports of the Mahdiya mentioned religious officials using such a baton.Much of these reports were propaganda, but they and later histories were pretty inclusive and were good observers.

I like your batons, but while he weaves an interesting story, I'm not convinced it is what he says it is.

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote